Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Not Because of You-Part 4

“Thank you, Veronica. You helped me understand that killing Physics.”

“Don’t mention it.”

“Who said doesn’t want the monster help,” Jane interrupted.

They were nervous.

Veronica smiled happily. They had just finished their small study group and now they were walking together.

“Veronica, we are sorry. We never mean it.”

“Don’t worry. I never take account on it.”

They relieved.

“Veronica!” Maribel run toward them, “DIE!!”

Veronica surprised. Her books felt on the floor.

The girls screamed seeing blood running down from Veronica’s arm.

“Go to hell!!” Maribel attacked Veronica again.

“Stop!” Dan held Maribel’s hand in time. Dan had felt something wasn’t right when he was Maribel walked around with a cutter in her hand.

The girls watched Maribel in shock.

“Let me go!” Maribel broke loose.

“What are you waiting for!? Take Veronica to the infirmary!” Dan ordered.



“You don’t look like a careless girl,” the infirmary doctor commented.

Veronica gave her innocent smile.

“Next time be careful when you are holding a cutter,” she fixed Veronica’s bandage.

“Yes, I will,” Veronica promised.

Someone opened the door.

“Veronica!” Dan showed up, “Are you ok?”

“I’m fine,” Veronica stood, “Thank you, Doctor,” and to her new friends, she apologized, “Sorry to make you worry. I’ve a Student Council meeting now. See you tomorrow.”

Veronica hurriedly leaved the room.

“She is really a damn good person,” Jane commented.

Everyone in the room looked at her.

Dan decided to stop this. He couldn’t be an audience anymore. Maribel had ever tried to kill Veronica before and now she did it again. Dan must stop the source of this.



Evans’s eyes widened.

“Don’t get closer to Veronica if you don’t want to be jailed!” Dan warned them.

“Is she ok?” Evans worried.

“It’s not your business! Just take care of your crazy wife. Veronica isn’t your fiancée anymore. She is your past!”

“Veronica never blamed you for her scar. She said it was an accident. Just an accident! She also told me you shall graduate from your guilty. You shouldn’t waste your future for your silly engagement.”

“Silly engagement…?” Evans gasped, “Did she… say it?”

“Yes, she did. She told me everything.”

Even something that she had never told him, Evans realized painfully.

“It’s too late to regret anything Veronica has made a wise decision by canceling your silly engagement.”

“You!” This guy could be the culprit. He loved Veronica. “You must have forced her to cancel our engagement.”

“Don’t accuse others without proof! I didn’t know Veronica until the school trip.”

He didn’t lie, Evans realized the truth again with pain.

“Now you have your self-choose fiancée. Don’t disturb Veronica. your silly engagement is over!”

‘You have the girl whom you chose on your side,’ Veronica had said.

Was that what Veronica thought about him? Was that Veronica felt about their engagement?

“Evans!”

Dan saw Maribel approaching. “Remember what I said,” he left the numbed Evans.

Maribel stared at Dan with unpleasant look.

“What’s his business with you?” Maribel asked.

This was the girl they said he had chosen.

“Evans!” Maribel called him again.

“Maribel,” he whispered, “We shall cancel this engagement.”

Maribel stunned.

“Let’s cancel this stupid engagement,” he repeated seriously.

“What did you say?” Maribel couldn’t believe his ear.

“We have no reason to keep this engagement.”

Maribel slapped Evans. “Why!?” she shouted, “Tell me why!?”

Evans kept quiet. His lost mind had hurt another girl.

“That monster! That monster must have told you so,” Maribel grabbed Evans’s arm, “Evans, don’t listen to her. Don’t believe what the monster said. She wants to control you. She only wants to manipulate you.”

“Stop it!” Evans shouted. He couldn’t stand on it anymore. He couldn’t let anyone say anything bad about Veronica. “She has never tied me with our engagement. It’s me who purposed it. She refused my proposal. She didn’t want me to take a careless decision only cause of my guilty but I forced her. I want to marry her not because of my guilt but because I love her!”

Evans surprised himself with his own words. Now he understood why he had been in maze since Veronica walked away from his life.

He did had purposed Veronica because of his responsible. Bye the passed time, his guilty was fading away. He didn’t date Veronica with that feeling anymore. He weren’t longing for their Saturday with his responsible any longer. He met Veronica with his longing. He talked to Veronica with his trust.

With Veronica, he could relax. With Veronica he could do anything he liked.

Veronica had never given him any expectations. Veronica had never wanted him to do something special. Veronica just wanted him to be always be her side.

“I’ll kill her! I’ll kill that bitch!” Maribel cursed, “If she dies, you will always be mine!”

“I warned you, Maribel,” Evans warned her seriously, “Don’t touch Veronica otherwise you can never step in this city.” With his dangerous voice, he added, “You have hurt Veronica once. Remember I haven’t taken an account on it. Now, give me back your ring.”



“I’m sorry,” Veronica apologized.

“Don’t say it again. You didn’t ask me to take you home. I made this decision!”

Veronica felt sorry. Dan had waited for her until the end of her meeting. He had also insisted to walk her home. He had reasoned their home were in the same direction. However, Veronica knew it was a lie.

Veronica looked at her image on the glass-door of shops along the street. Her waiving hair gave little clue on what was hidden on her right cheek. Right cheek… her right face.

Dan stopped to Veronica’s sad eyes as she saw her own image on the glass-window.

“Veronica,” he asked, “Why don’t you operate your face? You are a beautiful girl. You will look even more beautiful without your scar.”

Veronica placed her sad eyes on Dan.

“That’s not true, isn’t it? You are keeping your scar not to manipulate Veronica, aren’t you?”

Veronica smiled. She would not blame Dan. He just thought like the others. He didn’t understand anything.

“Dan, you may leave now. My house is just few blocks away.”

“No, Veronica. I will take you to your doorway. Besides, I want to talk to your parents.”

Veronica alarmed. “Don’t say anything to them,” she warned, “Don’t tell them anything about Maribel.”

Dan couldn’t say anything.

“Promise me,” Veronica begged.

“I promise,” Dan said. Veronica won’t know anything. He had responsible to protect her.

The next morning Dan waited for Veronica happily in their school entrance.

Yesterday he had told Veronica’s mother everything about Maribel and Veronica’s school-life. As his reward, Mrs. Suffolk had praised him. Veronica had ever told him how strict she was. Nevertheless, yesterday she welcomed him with open arms.

Dan smiled. He believed now e got an extra point from both Veronica and Mrs. Suffolk.

A black car stopped at the gateway. The black window prevented anyone to see what was inside.

Those amazed pupils started whispering to each other as a man in black suit and black sunglasses came out fro the front seat. He opened the passenger seat and bended,
“We have already arrived, Miss.”

For Dan astonishment, Veronica sprang out.

Another black-suited man came out from the other side. Then both of them followed Veronica.
Veronica looked Dan sadly as she passed them.

Dan didn’t understand. What did this mean? Why were there bodyguards? Why was Veronica sad?

“Veronica,” Evans stood in their way.

Veronica looked at him helplessly.

“How are you, Mr. Kopf?” one of Veronica’s bodyguard greeted, “It’s been a long time since our last meeting.”

“Yes, it’s been a long time,” Evans looked at Veronica.

“We are being ordered to protect Miss Veronica from anyone including you, Mr. Kopf,” the other man said coldly.

“Let’s go, Miss Veronica.”

Veronica followed her bodyguards without question.

Dan stood still in his place.

“You told her, didn’t you!?” Evans interrogated Dan, “Did you know what have you did!? You have ruined Veronica’s hard work! You ruined her life!”

“I… I…,” Dan’s face was completely white.

“Follow my suggestion; keep your nose away from Veronica!” Evans warned before he leaved. He got plenty to do rather than got angry to Dan.



Jane looked at Veronica and her bodyguards quizzically. “What does this mean?”

“After all, she is a typical rich girl.”

Veronica didn’t seem to enjoy her guidance.

“I’ll find him,” Jane decided.

“Him?”

“He, who knows everything. The only person understands Veronica.” Jane answered, “Evans Kopf!”



“I want it! I want it!” Veronica had pulled the sparkles at Evans’s hand.

“No, Veronica. it’s dangerous!”

“I want to play it, too!” Veronica had pulled hardly.

Evans had held his fireworks firmly. “No!” he had pushed Veronica away. “It’s dangerous.”

At the same time, Veronica had grabbed the sparkles. With no one could have stopped it, the burning fireworks burned Veronica’s face.

“Look what your child has done to my sweetheart!” Mrs. Suffolk had berated Kopf family.

“How dare you blame my child?” Mrs. Kopf had argued.

“I won’t let you meet Evans start from this very moment!” Mr. Suffolk had commanded.

Tears dropped on Veronica’s book.

“Are you okay, Miss Veronica?”

“Who made you cry?” then he looked at Veronica’s frightened classmates. “Is that one of them?”

“Stop it!” Veronica wiped her tears, “It’s just dust. Dust gets into my eyes.”

Veronica saw Jane stood in her classroom doorway looking right into her eyes.

“Jane, are you serious?” her friend asked, “Don’t you see her bodyguards?”

Jane abandoned their warning and walked straight into Veronica.

“What do you want?” Veronica’s overprotective bodyguards stopped her. “Don’t our dare to get closer to our mistress!”

“Veronica, do you like to be like this forever?” Jane asked. “Tell me the truth! Do you like to be isolated?”

Veronica turned away her head.

“Answer me, Veronica!”

“Go away!” they drove her away.

“Veronica, if you want to change this situation, you should stop thinking you are a monster.”

Those words got right into Veronica’s heart.

“I believe you are not a monster! No monster will help me with my Physics.”

Veronica couldn’t hold back her tears.

“Shut up! Go away!” Veronica’s bodyguards pushed Jane so hard until that girl felt down.

“S.”

“Maribel Stone, please report to Headmaster Office immediately,” the voice from the loudspeaker took away everyone’s attention, “Once more, Maribel Stone, please report to Headmaster Office now.”

The announcement aroused topics among the student.

“Is that true?”

“The head of Suffolk family is here to see the Headmaster.”

“They must have come to take account with Maribel.”

“I saw their car in front of the school gate.”

Veronica ran away to hear it followed by her worried bodyguards.

“Their?”

“Kopf family car is also here.”

Jane and her friend looked each other quizzically.


“Where is your responsibility!?” barked Mrs. Suffolk, “How do you teach your student!? How do you guarantee the safety of each student?”

“I demand this crazy girl to be expelled right now!” Mr. Suffolk barked, too.

“B-but she is…”

“She has contempt to kill my sweetheart. Do you need another reason to expel her!?”

“I demand you to expel Veronica Suffolk!” Mrs. Kopf suddenly came in, “That selfish girl has ruined my son’s life!”

“SHUT YOUR MOUTH!” Mrs. Suffolk shouted, “Your evil son had ruined my sweetie future!”
“She had forced my son into that silly engagement and now she made him cancel his engagement!”

“Nonsense! My sweetie has nothing to do with your evil son!”

“Your selfish daughter had manipulated my son with her terrible face!”

“SHUT UP!” Mrs. Kopf had touched the most sensitive topic, “You evil son had burned my sweetie’s face.”

You have the money to get a plastic surgery expert. If you don’t have it, I can pay it for you.”
“I don’t need your damn money!”

Some students gathered in front of the Headmaster Office. They talked to each other in puzzle.

“What does this mean?” they asked, “Veronica and her family had controlled Evans, hadn’t they?”

“Haven’t they cancelled that engagement and later Evans engaged to Maribel?”

“Maribel tried to kill Veronica? Is that right?”

They stopped talking as Maribel arrived and move away to give her a way. Every eye followed her steps to the door.

With her calmness, Maribel knocked the door.

“Mommy, stop it!” opened the door harshly.

“So, the monster is also here,” Mrs. Kopf said sarcastically.

“She is not a monster!” Mrs. Suffolk shouted, “She is much better than your evil son.”

“My son isn’t an evil!” Mrs. Kopf shouted, too, “He is a genius.”

“My sweetie ranks the first every year!”

“She must have been cheating,” Mrs. Kopf disliked the fact, “Like parents like child.”

“Nonsense!” at least Mr. Suffolk got himself involved, “You cheated me on the project.”

“I didn’t!” Mr. Kopf followed, too, “It’s our useless managerial problem.”

“I have the most effective management in the world! It’s our lazy developer team fault!”

“My developer team is better than your brain.”

“You brought the idea!”

“You accepted the idea!”

Everyone stunned to see the uncontrollable argue. The headmaster was speechless.

Veronica saw them sadly. They had used to be good friend. They were if only…

“STOP IT RIGHT NOW!”

They looked at Evans who stood at the door.

“Nice,” Mrs. Suffolk said sarcastically, “Everyone is here.”

Evans ignored that comment. “Why are you here?” Evans asked his parents, “Don’t you promise me to leave Veronica alone?”

“She promised me not to meet you again, but see what she has done to you?” Mrs. Kopf argued, “She said she will support you and Maribel but she made you cancel your engagement.”

Evans couldn’t believe it. “Veronica, you…”

Veronica avoided Evans’s eyes.

“She ruins your life!” Mrs. Kopf reminded.

“He ruins my sweetie future!” Mrs. Suffolk declared.

“Stop it!” Veronica cried, “It’s just an accident. Why don’t you understand!? Why do you keep blaming Evans?”

“If it’s just an accident, why don’t you let Evans alone?” Maribel interrupted, “You had forced him to engage with you. You had played with his heart. You have pushed him to cancel our engagement.”

“Maribel, shut up!”

“I have no wrong!” Maribel protested, “She did ruin your life,” Maribel grabbed Evans’s arms, “Evans, don’t listen to her. Consider your decision. She only wants to manipulate you.”

“Do you think I am the kind of person who will do something I don’t like?” Evans asked in a warning voice.

Maribel stared at Veronica. “You bitch! You must have put a spell on Evans!” she said in rage, “I’ll kill you! I’ll kill you!”

Veronica’s bodyguards protected her.

Evans held Maribel tightly. “Are you sane!?”

“Do you need another proof!?” Mr. Suffolk asked the Headmaster.

“Take her to the police station!” Mrs. Suffolk ordered Veronica’s bodyguards, “She deserves it.”

“Yes, Ma’am,” they took over Maribel.

“Let me go! I shall kill that monster! She has cursed Evans!”

“Take her away!” Mr. Suffolk commanded, too.

“Maribel… she…,” Mrs. Kopf said to her husband terrified, “I never think…”

“Stop it!” Veronica blocked them.

“Veronica, go away!” said Mr. Kopf, “She is not worth for you to protect. She tries to kill you!”

“No, I won’t move unless you promise me to let her go,” Veronica said stubbornly.

“What do you want?” Mrs. Suffolk asked Veronica impatiently, “You refused to take the surgery. You made us let you come here. You kept going out every Saturday even though your stupid engagement has been over. You scared all of your suitors and now you protect a killer, a killer who wants to kill you!”

“Tell us what you want,” demanded Mr. Suffolk.

Veronica looked at Maribel and then her parents. “I want you to let her go.”

“We will if you do whatever we tell you,” said Mrs. Suffolk.

“You will be guarded start from now on. You will take the surgery without any complains and you shall not refuse your arranged marriage,” Mr. Suffolk told her.

Evans looked at Veronica. She won’t, would she? She won’t take it.

“Promise?”

“You got our words,” Mr. and Mrs. Suffolk assured her.

She would, Evans realized. After all, she was a kind girl.

“That’s a…”

“NOO!!”

They looked at Evans.

“No, Veronica. Don’t do that. Promise me, you won’t do that! You don’t need your bodyguards. I will protect you!” Evans didn’t care. “You may not take the operation. You may refuse the arranged marriage. I will always be with you.”

Veronica’s eyes burnt with tears. “Evans,” her voice was so low that it’s barely heard. “I’m no longer afraid of hospital,” and with all the courage she had, she looked into Evans’ eyes. It’s time to end this. “They are right. I have been manipulating you with my burnt face.”

“See, what I said,” Mrs. Kopf claimed proudly.

“I don’t dare!” Evans said stubbornly, “I love you. I want to be with you forever.”

She had waited for those words for a long time. But…

“Evans, don’t you think it’s the time for us to graduate from this silly relation?” Veronica asked in her calm voice, “You mustn’t waste your time with a monster like me. Don’t let your guilt play with your heart.”

“Look at me, Veronica, and told me if I’m lying.”

Veronica refused to look at him.

Evans took the flower vase on nearby table and threw it to the floor.

Veronica surprised.

Evans took a piece of the broken vase.

Veronica’s eyes widened.

Evans stabbed his eye with the sharp pointed edge of the broken vase.

“NOOO!!” Veronica knocked Evans down.

Everyone was speechless to see they felt on the floor while fresh blood running down from Evans’s left eyes.

“No, Evans, no!” Veronica grabbed his hands, “Don’t do this!” Tears were falling down from her broken heart.

“It’s the only way to make you believe me,” Evans took another piece.

“I believe you! I trust you!” Veronica cried, “I love you, too.”

“I make you crying,” Evans said sadly.

“Hull,” Mr. Kopf looked at Mr. Suffolk, “We should over this unreasonable quarrel. What do you think?”

“You are right,” Mr. Suffolk agreed.

“WHAT!?” Mrs. Suffolk and Mrs. Kopf protested.

“Veronica will be ok,” Mr. Suffolk told his wife, “Look at them.”

Evans wiped Veronica tears while Veronica cared for Evans bleeding eyes.

Jane and her friends, who had been watching everything from the opened door, decided not just to be an audience anymore. She helped Veronica while the others called for the doctor.

“Veronica is much fair than Maribel, isn’t she?” Mr. Kopf smiled to her speechless wife.



Two years later…

“Unbelievable!” Jane cried, “Your Mom really is an overprotective mother! You are no longer a child. Why she doesn’t let you go overnight with us?”

“Yes. Next week is our graduation ceremony. After that we won’t have any chance to meet.”

Veronica smiled.

“Now your guardian has already been waiting for you,” Jane moaned.

They looked at the tall figure in the school-gate.

“Go!” they pushed Veronica, “Don’t let him think we kidnap you.”

“Cya tomorrow,” Veronica leaved them for the man waiting for her.

“He is coming again,” Veronica could hear the girls gossiping, “Who is he? Why he always pick the monster up everyday?”

“It’s a pity. She is cute. She will be even prettier without that burned face.”

“I took pity on him. He is too handsome for her.”

“Why he covers his left face with hair?”

Veronica smiled. She was ok with those gossips. Let them say whatever they want. She didn’t care at all. She accepted the fact with all of her heart now. It was because of him – the one that truly loved her.

“Do I make you waiting?” Veronica gave him her sweatiest smile.

“It’s my pleasure, my lovely Princess,” Evans stretched a lily out.

“Can’t you have other variances?’ Veronica jokingly grumbled.

“I bring different colors of lily everyday,” Evans made excuse.

“You are really…,” Veronica speechless.

Strong winds suddenly blew – revealing their hidden face.

Veronica could feel the surprise of people around them but she didn’t care. So did Evans who had already taken her bag over. Veronica let Evans opened the car door for her and waited silently for Evans to seat in the driver seat.

Veronica watched silently as Evans checked his car before turned the engine on. She could see scar running down from his forehead to his blinded left eye.

“Evans, why don’t you operate your eye?”

Evans looked at her and smiled mysteriously. “I have the same reason as you,” he moved his chest forward. With one hand, Evans parted Veronica’s hair – revealing her burned right face and his other hand held Veronica’s chin. “That is to manipulate you,” Evans kissed that burned face.

“You are cheap!” Veronica gloomed.

Evans laughed. “Call your Mom,” Evans turned the engine on, “Tell her you will be late today.”

“That’s useless,” Veronica told him, “You know her new quarrel with your Mom.” Veronica sighed. “I hope they can stop this nonsense quarrel. I’m tired of hearing them comparing us.”

“I think they only thing can stop them is our child.”

Veronica’s eyes opened wide.

“You are eighteen now. It means we can marry.”

“Are… you serious?” Veronica couldn’t believe it.

“Oh, man,” Evans was disappointed, “You are really good at running everything. I have already planned this for a long time. I want to propose you in a cruise I prepared tonight not inside a car.”

“You haven’t proposed me formally.”

Evans sighed. “And you are an expert at cheering me up.”

“You, too,” Veronica smiled happily.

1 comment:

  1. Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Wireless, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://wireless-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.

    ReplyDelete